The best laptop for financial modeling is one that is powerful enough to handle heavy workloads with ease and strong enough to last long days without getting too hot or having battery issues.
Financial modeling is a complex and time-consuming process. It takes hours to complete just one model, but with the right computer, the process can be less strenuous and maybe even faster. They have special software that calculates all of the equations based on a few inputs.
What kind of laptop do I need for this? The answer varies depending on what type of financial modeling you are doing. You can find an appropriate laptop for each specific task in this guide.
The Basics of Financial Modeling
Financial modeling is a useful way to understand the financial position of a company and its future prospects.
The four key components of financial modeling are: 1. Cash flow – this is the lifeblood of any business, 2. Balance Sheet – this includes assets and liabilities, 3. Income Statement – these are the earnings or revenues minus expenses over a period of time, and 4. Projections- these include forecasts about the future state of your company’s finances given certain assumptions about sales volume and cost structure.
There are two ways to use financial modeling: 1) valuation- which is used by investors when they assess how much a company should be worth based on profit projections, or 2) budgeting- which helps managers prepare budgets to manage costs for various scenarios in order to maximize profits.
What are the hardware requirements for best laptop for financial modeling?
The best laptop for financial modeling is a laptop that can handle the heavy workloads that come with financial modeling. It needs to be powerful, with high-quality graphics and computing power.
The hardware requirements for financial modeling depend on the size of the company you are working for. The keyboard and monitor may not be necessary for financial modeling, but it depends on what your workstation needs are. Make sure that you match your workstation to your company’s needs as well as any other hardware requirements they may have so that you can do your job efficiently.
In general, the specs needed for a best laptop for financial modeling is:
- RAM: 8 GB RAM or more is recommended
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or better is required
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti or better
- torage: 128 GB SSD or more
- Resolution: 1920×1080 HD resolution required
The Best Laptop for Financial Modeling
The best laptops for financial modeling will be based on specifications, features, and price. We have compiled a list of the best laptop for financial modeling for your needs.
Lenovo Premium 15.6”
Lenovo Premium 15.6” FHD (1920×1080) Display Laptop PC, Intel i5-7200U 2.5Ghz Processor, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Backlit keyboard, Bluetooth, DVD-RW, Fingerprint Reader, Windows 10 Pro
View On Amazon
- Unique hinge that rotates 180°, 15.6-inch Full HD (1920×1080) LED-backlit Anti-glare Display, Backlit Keyboard
- Intel Core i5-7200U 2.50GHz Dual Core Processor (Max Turbo to 3.1GHz), Intel HD Graphics 620, DVD-RW Drive
- 8GB DDR4 SDRAM, 256GB Solid State Drive, HD webcam with Privacy Shutter (simply slide it closed to keep the camera lens from seeing anything), Media Card Reader , Stereo speakers with microphone
- 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1, 1x HDMI, 2 x USB type-C, 2 x USB 3.0, 1x Ethernet RJ-45, VGA, headphone/microphone jack, Fingerprint Reader, Integrated Trusted Platform Module(TPM) firmware and Active Protection System (APS) for data security
- Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, Weighs only 3.74 lbs, Color: Black
Read about: What kind of mouse does Ninja use
ASUS VivoBook Thin and Lightweight
ASUS VivoBook Thin and Lightweight FHD WideView Laptop, 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD+1TB HDD, USB Type-C, NanoEdge, Fingerprint Reader, Windows 10 – F510UA-AH55
View On Amazon
- Powerful 8th Generation Intel Core i5 8250U 1.6GHz (Turbo up to 3.4GHz) processor
- 15.6 Inches Full HD WideView display with ASUS Splendid software enhancement
- 14.2 inches wide, 0.8 inches thin and portable footprint with 0.3 inches ASUS NanoEdge bezel for a stunning 80% screen to body ratio
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD storage combo; Ergonomic chiclet keyboard with fingerprint sensor
- Comprehensive connections including USB 3.1 Type C (Gen1), USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Lightning fast 802.11ac Wi Fi keeps you connected through any congestion or interference
Read about: Best Budget Laptop for Podcasting
Lenovo Yoga 730 2-in-1
Apple MacBook Air with Apple M1 Chip
2020 Apple MacBook Air with Apple M1 Chip(13-inch, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD Storage) – Gold
View On Amazon
- Go longer than ever with up to 18 hours of battery life
- 8-core CPU delivers up to 3.5x faster performance to tackle projects faster than ever
- Up to eight GPU cores with up to 5x faster graphics for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for advanced machine learning
- 8GB of unified memory so everything you do is fast and fluid
- Superfast SSD storage launches apps and opens files in an instant
- Fanless design for silent operation
- 13.3-inch Retina display with P3 wide color for vibrant images and incredible detail
- FaceTime HD camera with advanced image signal processor for clearer, sharper video calls
LG gram Thin and Light Laptop
Lenovo Flex 5
Lenovo Flex 5 14″ 2-in-1 Laptop, 14.0″ FHD (1920 x 1080) Touch Display, AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon Graphics, Digital Pen Included, Win 10, 81X20005US, Graphite Grey
View On Amazon
- Thin, light, and stylish – This 2-in-1 laptop weighs just 3.64 pounds and is only 0.82″ thick. It’s soft and comfortable to the touch, with a durable paint that creates a better user experience. Digital pen included
- The 10-point, 14-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS touchscreen allows the Lenovo Flex 5 14″ 2-in-1 laptop to be comfortable, fun, and easy to use. It’s also great to look at, with 4-side narrow bezels
- The 360⁰ hinge lets you use your 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop in whatever mode works best for you; Use it in ‘Laptop’ mode for everyday computing, ‘Tent’ mode for sharing things, ‘Stand’ mode for binge-watching, or ‘Tablet’ mode for more intuitive interaction
- Enjoy up to 10 hours of battery life, plus quick charge to 80% in just 1 hour
- Powered by the AMD Ryzen 5 4500U mobile processor with Radeon graphics, you have the performance to do more, from anywhere. With more cores, you’ll experience responsiveness that leaps into action for productivity, gaming, and content creation
Acer Aspire 3
2020 Acer Aspire 3 15.6″ Full HD 1080P Laptop PC, Intel Core i5-1035G1 Quad-Core Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, Ethernet, HDMI, Wi-Fi, Webcam, Numeric Keypad, Windows 10 Home, Steel Gray
View On Amazon
- Powerful and portable, the Aspire 3 laptop delivers on every aspect of everyday computing. Featuring the new 10th Gen InteI Core i5 processor, the Aspire 3 opens more possibilities than ever before—via performance, connectivity and entertainment. The Aspire 3 is the perfect laptop for every need. It packs a beautiful 15.6″ Full HD screen, solid performance and the Dual-Band WiFi into an attractive design that’s easy to place in a backpack and take to class.
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 Quad Core Processor 1.0GHz up to 3.6GHz); 8GB DDR4 Memory, expandable to 12GB; 256GB NVMe SSD; No SD or micro SD slots; No Optical Drive.
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) Acer ComfyView LED-backlit non-touch Display; Intel UHD Graphics
- IEEE 802.11ac, 1xGigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.2, 2xUSB2.0, 1xUSB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A, 1xHDMI, 1xheadphone jack; standard non-backlit keyboard with a 10-key number pad. 2x Stereo speakers. 1xNetwork (RJ-45);
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit . 2-cell Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) battery up to 8 hrs. Size: 14.3×9.7×0.78 inches. Color: Steel Gray
SAMSUNG Galaxy Chromebook
SAMSUNG Galaxy Chromebook 13.3″ UHD AMOLED – HD Intel Core I-5 Processor (256GB Storage, 8GB RAM) – 2020 Model – US Warranty – Fiesta Red – XE930QCA-K01US
View On Amazon
- Crystal clarity. Vivid color: Experience superior picture quality and fully expansive color, contrast and depth with the 4K AMOLED touchscreen display to take your work and play to the next level.
- Split-second productivity: Boot up in as fast as 6 seconds and hit the ground running. Get ample storage with 256GB SSD and work, play and multitask seamlessly.
- Stroke of genius: Take notes, sketch ideas and edit documents easily and accurately with the built-in pen that fits seamlessly into Galaxy Chromebook’s ultra-slim design.
- Speedy. Simple. Secure: Chrome OS is the speedy, simple and secure operating system that powers Chromebooks. It is designed to feel intuitive and helpful every step of the way. It comes with the Google Assistant which helps you multitask and control smart devices. Plus, with apps from the Google Play Store, you can get work done, watch your favorite shows or play your favorite games.
- A better way to Wi-Fi: Unlock network speeds up to 3×1 faster than previous generation Wi-Fi. Download music, movies and more in seconds backed by Intel’s high-performance wireless hardware.
- More space for what matters. Get Google One with 200GB of cloud storage for 12 months when you purchase a new Samsung Chromebook. Enjoy plenty of space for all your files, photos, and more. Redeem offer until 1/31/22
Conclusion: How Should You Make a Decision?
While not everyone will need a high-end machine, we know that some of our readers are in the market for one. We hope this article has helped you understand what to look for when purchasing your laptop and which models might be best for financial modeling purposes. If you have any questions or comments please leave them below!