Technology has made it easier for us to track and find our personal belongings, so making it possible to how to track a stolen laptop with serial number as well as by using other programs. But sometimes we don’t even know the most important thing: the serial number.
A laptop is a valuable device that can be used in many different ways. If someone steals your laptop you will want to make sure they are not able to use it or sell it again! You’ll need to know the serial number so you can report it as stolen and find out where its location currently is. Luckily there are some great programs out there that make this process easy for anyone with basic computer skills.
At some point in your life, you will probably need to track a stolen laptop. Whether it’s your own or someone else’s, there are many things that can be done to find the location of the laptop and bring it back to safety.
We have explained below how to track a stolen laptop using its serial number, as well as additional methods for tracking a stolen item.
- 1 How to track a stolen laptop with serial number ?
- 2 Can you find lost Laptop using Mac Address?
How to track a stolen laptop with serial number ?
We all wish for the best and strive not to be pessimistic. You should take certain preventive precautions as a result of this. Keep track of the serial numbers on all of your devices, including your laptop. Your gadgets send their serial numbers to the provider’s network on a regular basis, allowing them to recognize them at a glance.
To be sure, your serial number will not be able to pinpoint the exact position of your gadget if you phone your carrier to report it stolen. They are able to recognize the equipment just by looking at it.
Even if the conditions of your hardware warranty state that the company does not guarantee recovery, some manufacturer customer care services collect the serial number when you lodge a complaint about your stolen laptop. Furthermore, if you file a police report, the officers will use such detailed information to substantiate their conclusions.
Can stolen laptop be tracked with serial number only
A laptop’s serial number is a primary form of identification even though they’re mostly figures. They are a form of identity for the device. Although they only go as far as immediate recognition, they can be useful for the police report, insurance, and pawnshop complaints when physical contact occurs.
It is difficult to track your stolen laptop with a serial number only. Usually, this information may be used alongside others to track the device if you decide to use tracking software.
Can you find lost Laptop using Mac Address?
Your MAC address is made up of six groups of two figures or characters joined by hyphens. Go to utilities and start the terminal program to find out your address before an occurrence.
“Command + Shift + U” is another option. All network interfaces and their MAC addresses will be displayed.
When you’re not sure where your laptop is, the first person to call should be a network administrator. They’ll have more information about what can happen after it goes missing and will know how best to recover it for you as quickly as possible. This way they may also put in place some measures so that this never happens again!
- The MAC address is usually specific to each device. Therefore, the administrator can use a process known as MAC address filtering to prevent strangers from accessing a network or limit their access.
- Notifying the administrator lets them know that the device is no longer under your control, and they can track where the connection is coming from thanks to a change in IP addresses. As a result, it’s critical to keep your MAC address private.
Can stolen laptop be tracked with IMEI number if laptop has any
Talking about numbers, does the laptop have IMEI number? Only cellular devices such as phones and cellular modems used with laptops and notepads have an IMEI number. Otherwise, a laptop cannot be categorically called an IMEI number carrier.
If your device has a functioning 3G/4G modem, then it’s possible to track the IP address as long as the thief keeps the data plan alive and didn’t change the IMEI carrier. On its own, an IP address does not mark a specific place, but you could get an area.
There is a way to find lost windows laptop
Microsoft includes a built-in function called Find My Device for Windows devices. This feature, which was first launched in 2015, uses the operating system to assist you in tracking down your laptop if it goes missing.
To enable Find my device, log in to your device using your Microsoft account.
- Select accounts from the start button. Move to ‘update and security’ after clicking on the account to pick options. Select the ‘update and security’ area. You’re on if your information appears at the top of the screen. You must log in if you are not already logged in.
- Look for the option ‘Find my Device’ on the sidebar menu when updates and security alerts appear. Select it by clicking on it.
- You will see ON or OFF
- If it’s turned off, hit the same button again to turn it on. To be sure, a Windows 10 computer is required to access a Microsoft account.
- If you already have a Microsoft account, sign in with it. What do you do now that you’ve logged in? Select the stolen or missing device from the list of devices on which you’ve signed in with your account, and then select Find My Device. It’s possible that this feature won’t operate if your device isn’t turned on. However, in order to search out its precise location via GPS, you’ll need an internet connection.
- Click on the lock button to remotely secure the laptop.
Finding lost laptop using Gmail And Drop Box with IP address
According to studies, one laptop is stolen every 53 seconds, which was highly common in the days of unrestricted travel. Now, the statistic isn’t good; consequently, the issue – can a stolen laptop be tracked? – arises. Yes, you can track a stolen laptop in a number of ways. Although many computer users are unaware of this, you can track your laptop with the help of certain software. Unless you’re a techie, you may be unfamiliar with a number of technical phrases.
Your internet identity is determined by your IP address. “Internet Protocol” is what the IP stands for. Because it contains numerous figures that form a unique signature for each internet user, it is termed an address. Every user’s online activity is linked to their address. These addresses allow billions of people to communicate with one other. Is it possible to follow a laptop without using the Internet? It’s nearly hard right now since you need to use the Internet to get a significant amount of data.
By way of Dropbox
- The easiest method of tracking a stolen laptop is to use IP addresses. So, on a different laptop or device, look over the settings of your lately used site.
- Go to the list of recently used login sessions. The perpetrator will most likely turn on the laptop, and your dropbox will automatically sync, especially if they have an Internet connection. As a result, an automatic notification is sent to your Gmail account.
- Dropbox is a fantastic choice because it automatically logs you in. In the upper right corner, click on your account symbol.
- Then select Settings >Security.
- Then, scroll down to the web browser’s area and look at the information symbol for the selected device in the most recent activity column.
Read about : Best Laptop for Network Engineer
By way of Gmail
- Gmail can help because it sends you alerts about new logins and where they occurred if the action is suspicious. You can use the last known location as a starting point when this appears.
- To get the most out of Gmail, go to the web version and scroll down to the bottom right corner, where you’ll find a details option. To see all of your account’s recent activities, click on it. Tap Show Details once more to see the most recent activity on your account and copy the corresponding link or IP address. While you won’t be able to pinpoint the exact location of the device, you will be able to determine the town, neighborhood, or even road where it is.
What happens if stolen laptop is factory reseted
If you completed a factory reset on your laptop before it was stolen, there is a way to recover your data.
- On the device, you need to have tracking software installed (ThinkPad, MacBook, or Apple).
- Until the occurrence, you must have been paying its service cost.
- As long as your information, including your trace code number, can be identified by the tracing system (allocated to only active customers). Then, depending on the software you’re using, events take place. When a burglar tries to use the Internet on your computer, for example, the system sends data to a remote server.
- Alternatively, surveillance software can take photos of the thief, give them a warning message, and even remotely bypass many firewalls, allowing you to link a place to continue operations. A factory reset will allow you to do all of these things.
In the end
The dreaded moment when you realize your laptop has been stolen can be devastating. You may feel helpless, but there are plenty of ways to track a missing device with the serial number or IP address that will help locate it and get it back! So be prepared for the worse and try all the above avenues.